Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reflection Time


            Throughout this whole experience with digging deeper into the media it has really opened my eyes.  Before, I thought that ads and media were just there to be in the way, but now knowing the different techniques, I have noticed things that I didn’t before.  Things that I have noticed are possibly something that they are doing wrong, like not paying for a drink in a movie, or if the commercial is tricking you into buying the product.  These things have been brought to my attention and have made me “smarter” in the media world. 
            Honestly I consume a whole butt load of media whether it is from reality TV or magazines it is literally everywhere.  After this unit of media I haven’t changed the way I consume media but I do change the way I see it.  I understand the techniques and frankly I have actually been looking out and noticing billboards and ads everywhere.  But this overload of media is too much. The average amount of media that we see per day is about three thousand or more.  That is just too much, and personally I don’t even know that I’ve seen over three thousand.  It is ridiculous and absurd.  I don’t think that it is necessary to spend all that money on advertisements where it could go to plenty of other good things like the economy, government, or charities.
            Being educated when it comes to being a consumer is really important.  If you don’t know any techniques or notice that the advertiser is tricking you into buying a product, it will not be good for you.  You will get a crappy product most of the time and it will just frustrate you.  Knowing if a product is good or not can be really helpful.  Especially in this media center where there are so many advertisements for practically the same things; if you really want to buy the product you have a variety to choose from to see the good and bad ones too.  Just overall understanding what the advertiser is trying to get at it the most important thing when being a consumer and buying their products.
            From this class, I have noticed and have understood the media world.  From the three thousand advertisements that we see a day I can tell what is good, bad, right and wrong with a little bit of thinking.  Noticing these things within ads helps with buying products that you know that are good and worth it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment